Thursday 31 March 2016

My response to the Quietus article : "Why Record Store Day Must End"

There was a pretty negative piece published in the Quietus this week:
http://thequietus.com/articles/19946-record-store-day-2016-shops-bad-reissues-bleugh
In an attempt to provide some positive balance, this was my response:

"I run a record shop. 
I've taken part in RSD for the last 8 years. 
RSD is not perfect, but I really don't recognise, or agree with, a number of the points raised in this piece. 
Every year there are crap releases, that I think are cynical and exploitative - so I don't stock them. 
Every year there are fantastic releases, that I would queue up and buy for myself if I wasn't lucky enough to run a record shop...this year is no different. 
RSD is the busiest day of the year for me - yet I'm happy if I can break even on the RSD stock itself, where I make some money is on the huge range of used vinyl that I'm lucky enough to have, and which customers are delighted to find and buy on the day. Records that they didn't even know they wanted before they pitched up on Record Store Day and had a browse- and that's why I run a record shop, and that's why I love going to record shops. 
Most importantly RSD is great fun...I'll have a string of regular customers doing DJ sets through the day...they'll play some great records, they'll have a great time, so will I and luckily so will my customers. 
The way RSD is run can always be tweaked and improved, but I suspect that I wouldn't have survived without it, and the resurgence in vinyl that has resulted from it, and I don't think I'm alone."


No comments:

Post a Comment